From the unscientific study department comes this list of great iPhone and iPod touch games for tween boys — my 10-year-old son and his idevice toting pals have very definite ideas about what’s wicked cool and just so much nasty drool. Put on your rain slicker, because this is gonna get messy.
Not everything free is worth having. Moreover, when it comes to games for your boy’s iPhone or iPod touch, the free versions often only offer just a free levels.
When shopping for games for your boy, look for Game Center enhanced features like online multiplayer and head-to-head wi-fi gameplay — one is fun, but many is madness.
Real Racing offers stunning graphics and excellent multiplayer options.
10. Traffic Rush (free) — Get the flow going by strategically stopping and accelerating rushing vehicles that are crossing at an intersection. Frogger, but not — more intense and more free.
09. Tap Tap Revenge 4 (free) — Guitar Hero and Rock Band are dead. However, Tap Tap rages on as one the best ever mobile games and the kids can’t get enough of it.
08. Real Racing ($4.99) — Here’s another classic that is still the best of the best mobile racing game. This is a great father-son game as you can play head-to-head.
07. Cro-Mag Rally ($3.99) — Get your neaderthal on, baby! Race through the Stone, Bronze and Iron ages in primitive vehicles with radical weapons.
06. Fruit Ninja ($0.99) — This title has topped the App Store games charts in more than a dozen countries. Your kids will love it and so might you!
BioDefense is a cool strategy game with tons of zombies.
Use your brainz, don’t get overrun!
05. Cut the Rope ($0.99) — Mindlessly addictive! The kids begged me for this one, but I withheld it until a long road trip to Philadelphia (six hours by car) and wasn’t disappointed — nothing but quiet from the back of the van the whole way.
04. Angry Birds Rio ($0.99) — Yeah, the movie pretty much tanked in theaters, but the game really rocks. Who’s the best in your family? Trade secrets, compare scores and soak up hours with this wonderful physics-based game.
03. Chopper 2 ($2.99) — Put your little man in command of a deadly attack helicopter on a mission for destruction. Everything a boy could want — tanks, missiles and mayhem!
02. Death Worm ($0.99) — Looking for massive and grotesque monster with an appetite for destruction? Godzilla may be history, but boys just gotta smash, trash and destroy, and the grosser the better. Don’t save the damsel in distress, eat her!
01. BioDefense ($0.99) — After spending a month in California with his hipster Asian cousins, my boy came home with this affordable gem. Build your base in the midst of a zombie wasteland. A strategy game for boys with brainz!